Careers at Midforest Veterinary Practice
Our friendly, successful veterinary practice was established in 1987. Originally a mixed practice, we have dedicated ourselves to the care and well-being of companion animals since 2006. We have two branches: Lyndhurst in the beautiful New Forest and nearby West Totton.
Five Reasons to Join Our Team:
- We are Nice People to Work For.Our practice is headed by veterinary surgeons James Elliott and Andy Elliott (no relation!) who, with the help of practice manager Liza Datlen, manage a team of five fabulous vets who are, in turn, supported by our brilliant nurses and reception teams. The whole Midforest team collectively takes expert care of our lovely clients and their delightful pets.
- Location, Location, Location. Our clinics are situated in The New Forest – a National Park and an area of outstanding natural beauty, as well as West Totton – a bustling town situated on the edge of the New Forest with direct rail links to Southampton and London.
- Interesting and Varied Work. Each site has its own dedicated team and operates as a first opinion practice offering a range of clinical services. Fifteen minute appointments provide time for a thorough clinical approach and a chance to build rapport with our lovely clientele. Both sites conduct their own diagnostic work and surgical procedures, and with a case-load that is varied and interesting, no two days are ever the same.
- We Care About Our Clients. Midforest Veterinary Practice pride themselves on offering a personal 24-hour emergency service which provides reassurance to our clients that we will always be there to help their pets should the need arise.
- We Care About Our Team. Our salaries are competitive with a generous benefits package that includes a pension scheme, discount on own-pet treatment, a Well-Being package and, in the case of vets and nurses, well-rewarded OOH duties. OOH duties are fairly shared and not too onerous.
Every member of the Midforest team is actively encouraged to progress in their career with a generous CPD allowance. We also have a well-managed rota, which allows you to plan your life.
If you are dedicated, reliable, a great people-person and are passionate about the care and well-being of companion animals, (a good sense of humour helps too), then we want to hear from you – we think you’ll be a great fit in our team! Contact practice manager Liza Datlen:
Tel: 023 8066 0400/ 023 8028 2358
As vacancies arise we will post them on this page. In the meantime, we always welcome interest from potential candidates looking for great career opportunities with a caring employer as a:
- Permanent fully-qualified veterinary surgeon (2+ years)
- Locum veterinary surgeon (covering holidays, sickness and other unexpected situations)
- Permanent fully or part-qualified veterinary nurse
- Locum veterinary nurse (covering holidays, sickness and other unexpected situations)
Qualified Veterinary Nurse – Permanent – Full Time
An enthusiastic and experienced qualified full-time VN is required for our friendly small animal practice in beautiful Lyndhurst and Totton.
You will be working with 5 lovely vets, 8 other nurses and a great reception team in a pretty thatched cottage practice with a super client base at Lyndhurst and a busy and interesting practice at Totton.
The role involves the full range of veterinary nursing skills including nurse clinics and reception work. Excellent organisational skills, client care skills and communication skills are essential, along with a conscientious, caring and motivated manner.
A sense of humour will be an asset!
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- 28 days holiday
- 40 hour week
- Light OOH duties: normally no more than 1 night p/w and 1:5 weekend rota. Rewarded with time off in lieu, and generous OOH payments
- Nurse Academy Programme & 3 days CPD leave
- Free parking
- RCVS registration fees
- Discounted own-pet treatment
- A Well-Being package that includes cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, High Street shopping vouchers and discounted gym membership amongst other benefits
- Structured rota
Is this you? Call today.
Contact practice manager Liza Datlen
Tel: 023 8066 0400/023 8028 2358
PART-TIME VETERINARY RECEPTIONIST – TOTTON
Midforest Veterinary Practice is a small animal practice and has two 2 branches: one in West Totton and the other in Lyndhurst. We are looking for a part-time receptionist to join our friendly team at Totton.
You will be the first point of contact for our clients so a calm, friendly manner in our busy environment is essential.
Your responsibilities will include answering the phone, helping clients with their queries, advising clients on preventative healthcare, booking appointments, taking payments, helping to keep the clinic clean and tidy, and basic administration tasks.
Veterinary experience and/or reception experience would be an advantage but is not essential as training will be given.
We need someone who is flexible and prepared to work afternoon into evening shifts to 7pm, take a share of Saturday mornings (usually 1 in 4) and be prepared to cover for sickness and holiday at our Totton practice (or Lyndhurst, if required).
If you are a dedicated, reliable, a great people-person and are passionate about the care and well-being of companion animals then we'd love to hear from you.
Please contact Liza Datlen, sending your CV and a covering letter telling us why you think you would be the best candidate for the role.
As you can imagine, we are inundated with requests for work experience here at Midforest Vets - both from school students and those studying animal related courses at college. We know that placements are really important to help you find out if a career in the veterinary world is right for you, and to help you gain experience if you do undertake training for such a career, but unfortunately we just can't accommodate everyone.
Early application is vital - we are often booked up to a year in advance - particularly as we can only accommodate one student at a time and prioritise requests from vet and vet nurse students (who have to spend a large amount of time in veterinary practice as part of their training). We are normally only able to offer one week long placements, and work experience is normally based at our Totton branch.
If you would like to apply for work experience, please send a CV and covering letter to Midforest Vets, Kingfisher House, Ringwood Road, West Totton, Southampton, SO40 7DY. Please mark the envelope "Work Experience". Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent by email. Please remember to include contact details, your preferred dates for placement, details of your course/subjects you are studying and tell us about any previous work experience. You may be asked to attend an informal interview too.
It is worth remembering that there are lots of other ways to gain animal related work experience aside from veterinary practice. Farms, stables, kennels and rescue centres may be able to provide alternative placement options, and a range of work experience is normally required if you apply for veterinary medicine or nursing courses.